Advertisement
News
Advertisement

NY hospital warns after e-cigarette fire, injury

Tue, 04/22/2014 - 4:20pm
The Associated Press

A New York hospital is reinforcing its ban on electronic cigarettes after a patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.

Syracuse Fire Department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard (http://bit.ly/QuQKDE ) the exact cause of last month's fire at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he says the patient had a battery-powered e-cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.

Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is home and doing well.

Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have reminded patients they aren't allowed to use e-cigarettes. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use on its campus.

Advertisement

Share this Story

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.
Loading